<<BACK    NEXT>>>
CLOSE

Wappen Von Hamburg
1669

Also named the Empress , she was built in the Deich-Tor shipyard in Hamburg by Dutch shipbuilders. The blue prints were started in 1663, but consultations and negotiations hampered the actual construction until the spring of 1667, when work on the hull actually commenced.

The woodwork was finished in 1668, the armaments were then installed, and the ship took up service in 1669. From 1669
to 1683, the ship saw service as an escort vessel on voyages to the Spitzbergen, north of Norway, and to the West. On October 10th, 1683, while she was on the Cadiz route, a fire broke out in the bows, quickly spreading throughout the entire ship.

Despite valiant efforts to extinguish the flames, the fire eventually reached the Arsenal, and the ship exploded. The cause
of the fore remains unknown. Admiral B. Karbfanger, along with forty-two of his one hundred and seventy sailors and twenty two of the fifty soldiers, lost their life in an attempt to save the ship. The body of the Admiral received formal honors from all the ships at anchor in the port, and was buried with great ceremony in the Foreigners cemetery on the seafront of Cadiz.

A monument erected on the tomb by King Charles II of Spain to honour the Admiral, remained standing for one hundred and twenty five years, until the French removed the cemetery in order to enlarge the port. It was not until 1897, that Hamburg honored her great son by erecting a monument designed by the Sculptor R. Okelmann on the Kersten Miles Bridge.

 leopold 1668

Artist unknown

<<BACK    NEXT>>>
CLOSE