<<<BACK    NEXT>>>
CLOSE

HMS St. Andrew
167o

HMS St Andrew was a 96-gun first-rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy, built at Woolwich Dockyard by Christopher Pett until his death in March 1668, and then completed by Jonas Shish, and launched in 1670.

In 1703, she was renamed HMS Royal Anne, and rebuilt at Woolwich as a first rate of 100 guns. In 1707, she served as flagship of Vice-Admiral of the Blue Sir George Byng and belonged to Admiral Sir Cloudesley Shovell's fleet.

She saw action during the unsuccessful Battle of Toulon and was present during the great naval disaster off the Isles of Scilly when Shovell and four of his ships (Association, Firebrand, Romney and Eagle) were lost, claiming the lives of nearly 2,000 sailors. Royal Anne suffered little to no damage and finally managed to reach Portsmouth. The Royal Anne was broken up in 1727.

 HMS St. Andrew 167o

HMS St Andrew at Sea in a Moderate Breeze. Oil on canvas, by Willem van de Velde the Younger

<<<BACK    NEXT>>>
CLOSE