<<<BACK    NEXT>>>
CLOSE

English Ship HMS Prince Royal
1610

HMS Prince Royal was a 55-gun royal ship of the English Royal Navy, built by Phineas Pett at Woolwich and launched in 1610. The ship fittings were carved by Sebastian Vicars, and painted and gilded by Robert Peake and Paul Isackson. She was the first ship of the line with three complete gun decks, although when first completed the upper deck carried no guns in the waist, and was stepped down aft because of the large amount of sheer (the manner in which the decks rose towards the stern and bow). In 1621 a refit saw the removal of this step-down, with all three gun decks now being continuous.

From 1639 to 1641 she was rebuilt by Peter Pett at Woolwich as a 70-gun first-rate ship. During the time of the Commonwealth of England, she was named Resolution.

As built, she was 1187 tons, 115 feet in length with a beam of 43.5 feet, After reconstruction she was 1432 tons, 132 feet in length with a beam of 45 feet.

 English Ship HMS Prince Royal 1610

This drawing by an unknown artist shows the Prince Royal as originally built.

<<<BACK    NEXT>>>
CLOSE