HMS Prince

HMS Prince (sometimes also referred to as Royal Prince) was a 100-gun first rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy, built by Phineas Pett II at Deptford Dockyard and launched in 1670. A contemporary shipyard model which is today at the Science Museum in London gives a good impression how she looked. Especially her stern which was extensively decorated with gilded carvings.

During the Third Anglo-Dutch War she served as a flagship of the later king James II, then Duke of York and Lord High Admiral. During the Battle of Solebay (1672) she was in the center of the English fleet that was attacked by the Dutch center led by Admiral Michiel de Ruyter. The Prince was heavily damaged by De Ruyter's flagship De Zeven Provinciƫn in a two hours' duel and Captain of the Fleet Sir John Cox was killed on board.

HMS Prince was rebuilt by Robert Lee at Chatham Dockyard in 1692, and renamed at the same time as HMS Royal William. As originally built she carried 100 guns, had a keel length of 131 feet, a beam of 45 feet, and displaced 1403 tons.


This painting may be by Willem van de Velde the Younger.