<<<BACK    NEXT>>>
CLOSE

HMS Mordaunt
1681

HMS Mordaunt was a 46-gun fourth rate ship of the line of the English Royal Navy, launched at Deptford in 1681. She had been privately built, and was purchased into the navy in 1683. She has been the only ship of the Navy to be named Mordaunt, after the surname of numerous holders of the title of the Earl of Peterborough. She was commanded from September 4th, 1688 by John Tyrell, and on October 4th, 1689 she was part of a fleet that fought an engagement with 12 French warships. Mordaunt became stranded in 1693, and was lost.

She was 102 feet long with a beam of 32 feet. She displaced 576 tons.

 HMS Mordaunt 1681

Drawing of the Mordaunt by Willem van de Velde the Elder

<<<BACK    NEXT>>>
CLOSE