<<<BACK    NEXT>>>
CLOSE

French Ship La Couronne
1636

La Couronne (French for "crown") was an emblematic ship of the French Navy built by Richelieu. Couronne was a war Galleon built by the French themselves in accordance to Richelieu's plans to renew the French Navy, after a series of ships built by the Dutch. The construction was supervised by Isaac de Launay Razilly and overseen by the famous carpenter Charles Morieur, from Dieppe. She was being constructed at Roache-Bernard; and was one of the most advanced units of her time.

She bore 68 heavy guns, 8 firing to the bow and 8 to the aft, an unusual feature until Dupuy de Lôme redesigned naval artillery. The Couronne took part in the Battle of Guetaria in 1638, and another expedition to Spain in 1639 under Henri de Sourdis. The ship was disarmed in 1641 and scrapped between 1643-1645.

La Couronne was 171 feet in length with a beam of 45 feet. She carried a crew of 643.


 French Ship La Couronne 1636

The painting is by Jacob Gerritz Loef

<<<BACK    NEXT>>>
CLOSE