<<<BACK    NEXT>>>
CLOSE

Goto Predestinatsia
1699

Goto Predestinatsia (God's Predestination, literally The Providence of God) was a Russian flagship. She was a 58-gun
three-masted battleship, and was commissioned on April 27, 1700 on the Voronezh Admiralty wharf. She was in service until 1711 as part of the Azov flotilla. After the unsuccessful Prut campaign and the loss of the City of Azov the Goto Predestinatsia was sold to the Ottoman Empire. She was the first Russian ship of the line and the first ship of this rate built in Russia without the help of foreign experts.

In 1699 Peter the Great still lacked a secure northern seaport except at Archangel on the White Sea, whose harbor was frozen nine months a year. Access to the Baltic was blocked by Sweden, whose territory enclosed it on three sides. Peter's ambitions for a "window to the sea" led him in to make a secret alliance with the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth and Denmark against Sweden resulting in the Great Northern War. The war ended in 1721 when an exhausted Sweden sued for peace with Russia. Peter acquired four provinces situated south and east of the Gulf of Finland, thus securing his coveted access to the sea.

Goto Predestinatsia 1699 

Picture of the battleship Goto Predestinatsia , artist and time of origin unknown.

<<<BACK    NEXT>>>
CLOSE