<<<BACK    NEXT>>>
CLOSE

HMS Charles Galley
1676

HMS Charles Galley was a 32–gun fifth rate of the Royal Navy built at Woolwich Dockyard and launched in 1676. She was rebuilt in 1693, and again at Deptford Dockyard in 1710. She was renamed HMS Torrington after a third rebuild in 1729, and was hulked in 1740. She was finally sold on 12 July 1744.

The Charles Galley was one of the two so-called galley frigates built in 1676 to serve in the Mediterranean against the Barbary pirates. She was was classed as a fourth-rate ship.

 HMS Charles Galley 1676

Panel painting of the Charles Galley in a light breeze, towing an admiral's barge with several men in it. By Willem van de Velde the Younger.

<<<BACK    NEXT>>>
CLOSE