<<<BACK    NEXT>>>
CLOSE

HMS Britannia
1682

HMS Britannia was a 100-gun first rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy, built by Phineas Pett II at Chatham Dockyard, and launched in 1682. In 1715, Britannia was ordered to be taken to pieces and rebuilt at Woolwich Dockyard, from where she relaunched on October 30,1719, again as a 100-gun first rate. Britannia was placed on harbour service in 1745, and was broken up in 1749.

She was 165 feet long with a beam of 47 feet. She displaced 1766 tons.

 HMS Britannia 1682

Britannia under sail with other men-of-war, in a 1683 painting by Isaac Sailmaker