<<<BACK    NEXT>>>
CLOSE

The 'St Andrew' at Sea in a Moderate Breeze
1673
Willem Van de Velde the Younger

The 'St Andrew' at Sea in a Moderate Breeze  1673 Willem Van de Velde the Younger

A closely observed portrait of the 'St Andrew', 96 guns. She was built at Woolwich Dockyard by Christopher Pett in 1670 and was later renamed the 'Royal Anne' after rebuilding as a 100-gun ship in 1704. She flew Sir John Kempthorne's blue
flag at the fore, as vice-admiral, at the Battle of the Texel in 1673 and since she flies a blue flag at the fore here it is likely that he commissioned the painting.

Van de Velde also made several detailed drawings of the ship in preparation for it. She is here shown prominently positioned in the centre of the picture and is viewed from the port broadside, abaft the beam, with the stern visible. On a long line astern she is towing a boat with several men in it. Ahead of the 'St Andrew', nearly in stern view, is a ship of the red squadron, bearing a large royal arms on the stern.

Another ship is visible beyond in port-broadside view, running across her bow and there is another ship before the wind in the right background. The painting was probably made the year after the artist came to England and he also did several other versions of it.

<<<BACK    NEXT>>>
CLOSE